After spending our cold, rainy winter being inundated with delicious looking icy-poles (or popsicles!) on all the northern hemisphere blogs I read I decided that once the weather warmed up here I needed to play with some varieties of my own! So I found myself some moulds and then pondered over what flavoured icy poles to concoct. I had a bag of apricots waiting to be eaten so I decided to combine them with some yoghurt for an almost healthy frozen treat!
The best part about these is that as they only have a little bit of sugar you could get away with having one for breakfast if it was too hot to face real food (or even if it’s not, I won’t tell!). I used vanilla bean yoghurt in mine (five:am is my go to brand at the moment) but greek yoghurt would be pretty delicious too!
I made quite a lot of the stewed apricots and have used the leftovers on my muesli, in smoothies and on ice cream but if you just want enough for your icypoles then probably halve the amount of apricots and sugar.
- 7 apricots
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Halve the apricots and remove the stone
- Combine with the sugar in a saucepan and cook on high heat until the sugar dissolves. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the apricots are softened
- Blitz the apricots in a food processor until smooth and then leave to cool
- Half fill your icy pole moulds with the apricots and freeze until set
- Top the moulds with the yoghurt, insert the sticks and return to the freezer until completely frozen
They are nice and tangy from the apricots and the yogurt, but sweet enough to make a satisfying dessert on a warm summer evening. It was hard to stop myself from eating them all at once!
Have you made your own popsicles before? What would be your go-to flavour?