Despite it being the middle of a rather fresh Melbourne winter I can’t seem to stop eating salads. To make them more season appropriate I have been roasting various winter veggies to use as the star of the salad – and this time it was beetroots turn to shine. I never used to eat much beetroot but in recent years I have been finding myself ordering dishes with it more and more. It is so sweet and colourful when roasted and turns juices the most amazing colours!
Word of warning before you start – probably avoid wearing anything white, or hard to wash. Cooking with beetroot can get messy!
- Two large beetroot
- Mixed greens
- Goats Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Scrub the beetroot and place on a large piece of aluminium foil. Drizzle with oil and wrap into a parcel. Roast for between 45min-1hr (until a fork can easily be inserted into the beetroot)
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Collect the leftover oil and beetroot juice from the bottom of the foil and leave aside.
- Once cool, remove the peel (either with a knife or just rub it away with your hands) and chop into small pieces
- Add the greens, beetroot, walnuts and cheese to a salad bowl and toss to combine
- Drizzle with the oil and beetroot juice collected earlier
What have you been eating lately? Are you a fan of beetroot?