My love for Mexican food has been well documented on this blog so I thought it was about time I turned those flavours into a soup and this black bean & sweet potato soup was the result! It’s filling and warming making it the perfect winter comfort food, whilst still being healthy!
- Brown onion
- 3 celery sticks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3tsp cumin
- 2tsp paprika
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 500g sweet potato
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 cups corn
- Fresh coriander
- Avocado, tortilla chips, hot sauce (optional)
- Dice the onion, celery and garlic
- Heat some oil in the base of a large saucepan and cook the onion, celery and garlic until softened and translucent
- Add the cumin, coriander and chilli flakes and stir 1-2 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, stock and water and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer
- Peel and dice the sweet potato and add to the saucepan, stirring to combine and cook for 10 minutes
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add to the saucepan with the corn, stirring to combine
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sweet potato is tender and the soup has reduced to your desired thickness
- Spoon into serving bowls, squeeze in lime juice and add coriander and sliced chilli to taste
- Top with diced avocado and serve with tortilla chips
What I particularly love about this soup is that it reheats incredibly well, and the flavours develop the longer you leave them. I tend to make the soup itself not overly spicy but then up the heat with some hot sauce or added chilli when I serve it, otherwise by day two or three it can have quite the kick!
I also cook mine until lots of the liquid has been reduced as I love a chunky soup, but if you’re planning on eating it over a few days then leave a little extra liquid as it tends to evaporate anyway! The soup is fresh, filling, spicy and delicious, and it’s my new favourite Mexican meal!
Vicki @ Boiled Eggs & SoldiersAugust 8, 2016 at 1:30 pm (7 years ago)
Yum, this looks delicious. I just need to find some black beans and will be on to it!Reply
Vicki @ Boiled Eggs & Soldiers recently posted…Your Weekly Feed #63
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)October 6, 2016 at 7:19 pm (6 years ago)
I usually find them near the mexican food section, hopefully you can pick some up too!
Kim @zonktdesignsAugust 8, 2016 at 9:05 pm (7 years ago)
What a delicious flavour combination. I’m so making this Black bean and sweet potato two of my favourite things! YUMMMMReply
Thanks for linking up to Your Weekly Feed. xx
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)October 6, 2016 at 7:22 pm (6 years ago)
I hope you love it!