A colleague brought in some carrot cupcakes to work recently and it reminded me that I hadn’t done any baking with carrots for a long time, and I do love me some carrot cake! I decided to go a slightly healthier route (removing the cream cheese icing helps!) and went with carrot muffins instead, which naturally called for the addition of walnuts and raisins.
They turned out really well and made the perfect mid-afternoon snack at work, paired with a cup of peppermint tea (my current tea obsession for work days!). I was pretty popular when I showed up with a few at my parents place as well!
Recipe adapted from here
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tbs cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup vanilla greek yoghurt (or plain)
- 3 eggs
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Oats (to sprinkle)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Combine flours and spices in a bowl and set aside
- Beat the oil and sugar until combined then add the apple sauce and yoghurt and beat for another minute
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well, then stir in the vanilla essence
- Fold in the flour mixture until just combined
- Grate the carrots and roughly chop the walnuts, then add to the batter with the raisins and coconut. Fold to combine.
- Spoon into lined muffin pans and sprinkle with oats
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack
Unsurprisingly these didn’t last long in my house and I’m sure it won’t be long before I whip up another batch! They would be great for school lunchboxes too, and you can easily leave out the walnuts if you need to keep them nut-free.
What’s been baking in your kitchen recently?