As this crazy heatwave rolls on in Melbourne I’ve needed to come up with new refreshing drinks to stock my fridge with as we’re going through them all rather quickly in an attempt to stay cool! There’s been batches of cucumber water in all kinds of flavour combos and homemade lemonade whenever I got lemons from my parents tree, and now it was time for some homemade iced tea!
I had a fruit bowl full of oranges and lemons so a citrus iced tea seemed the logical choice, and I added cinnamon to give it a nice additional flavour kick. It was super refreshing and certainly didn’t hang around long in the fridge!
- 8 black tea bags
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Up to 1/4 cup sugar (make it as sweet as you like, I like mine not too sweet)
- 6 cups boiling water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Slices of lemons, limes and oranges
- Combine tea bags, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan with boiling water. Stir to dissolve sugar then cover and leave to sit for 10 minutes
- Remove the tea bags and cinnamon and leave to cool to room temperature
- Pour into a jug with the lemon and orange juice then add sliced fruits and refrigerate to chill
- Serve with additional cut fruit slices and ice and enjoy!
Easy as that! Feel free to use honey or another liquid sweetener if you’d prefer to leave out the sugar, just add it once you remove the tea bags and cinnamon and stir well to combine it.
Have you made your own flavoured iced tea before? What flavour combos would you recommend?