The last couple of months have been incredibly busy ones for me at work as we’ve been running some rather extensive community consultation (involving lots of Saturday and evening work) but that is all now over, so we celebrated with an afternoon tea! I always like to bake something to take along but wanted to keep things simple (I had been working half the weekend after all!) so a classic coconut jam slice seemed the perfect choice!
The beauty of this slice is that it is made up of ingredients you are almost guaranteed to have in your pantry already, so it’s great for a last minute baking session! Now, over to the recipe!
I slightly tweaked a recipe I found on Taste (it’s a classic for a reason!)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 125g butter (chilled and chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup jam
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Combine the flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar and the butter in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs
- Add one egg and the vanilla and process until it forms a dough
- Line a slice pan and press the dough into the pan then bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden
- Spread over the jam
- Whisk the remaining 2 eggs with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar then add the coconut and lemon
- Spoon over the jam and spread evenly
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden. Cool completely in the pan then cut into pieces
You can use any jam that you have on hand, or even make your own! I whipped up some more chia jam using just strawberries this time which is a great option if you have excess fruit on hand, or want to avoid using expensive, fancy jams in a slice! You could even use lemon curd in place of the jam – in fact I might have to get some curd off my mum so I can give that a try next time (her lemon trees are amazing!).
This coconut jam slice was definitely well received by my colleagues and given how easy it is to whip up it’s an excellent option to keep in mind for your next afternoon tea too! It’s hard to beat an old-fashioned classic and this coconut jam slice sure is a classic.
Have you been baking recently? Maybe try this coconut jam slice next time!
[inlinkz_linkup id=571323 mode=1]