Sometimes all I want for dinner is a creamy pasta dish, but I tend to avoid dairy for the most part, and it’s not exactly the sort of meal you should eat too often anyway! Luckily, this avocado & spinach pasta dish fills that void, bringing all the deliciousness of a rich, creamy sauce and all in just as long as it takes for the pasta to cook!
The avocado makes the sauce so smooth and creamy that you really will find it hard to believe it doesn’t include a huge glug of heavy cream, I promise! So, onto the recipe!
- Pasta of your choice (I used an egg fettuccine)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup pasta water
- Salt & pepper
- Parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain reserving a cup of the water and set aside
- Meanwhile, finely dice the garlic and add to your blender with the nuts, spinach, avocado flesh, roughly chopped parsley and lemon juice and blitz to combine
- Gradually add the reserved water while blitzing until it reaches a smooth consistency (you may not need the whole cup)
- Season with salt and pepper then toss through the pasta
- Serve with some cracked pepper and a sprinkling of cheese (I use a vegetarian friendly hard-cheese)
I love how colourful the sauce is thanks to the spinach and parsley and it’s seriously simple to make! The perfect mid-week meal when you want something delicious but time and energy are not on your side! Plus, you get all the goodness of an avocado as well!
You could up the health-stakes by opting for a wholemeal pasta (or gluten-free pasta if that’s your thing) instead, although given you’ve already skipped out on the cream then I think normal pasta is a-ok! I’ll leave that decision up to you though!
Are you a fan of creamy pastas? Fancy giving this avocado & spinach pasta a try?
[inlinkz_linkup id=550316 mode=1]