I eat a lot of Mexican food over the warmer months but usually fall back on simple black bean tacos but I decided to branch out a little over the weekend and the end result were these crispy tofu tacos! They are full of both flavour and texture and make an excellent mid-week meal when it’s far too hot to turn the oven on. Plus they’re delicious!
They’re particularly excellent vehicles for my recent hot sauce obsession too which makes them absolute winners in my household. They can be a little messy to eat but given it’s the perfect weather for sitting on my balcony and enjoying these with a beer it’s not a huge problem, the birds will clean up any leftovers!
For for Crispy Tofu
- 250g firm tofu
- 2tbs sriracha (or other chilli sauce)
- 3tbs honey
- 2/3 cup cornflour
- 2tsp cumin
- 2tsp paprika
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
For the Tacos
- Toppings such as corn, coleslaw, avocado, cheese, tomato
- Hot sauces (optional, but delicious!)
- Cut the tofu into cubes
- In a small bowl stir together the chilli sauce and honey
- In a large bowl combine the cornflour with the spices, salt and pepper
- Toss the tofu cubes in the honey mixture then in the cornflour mixture until well coated
- Heat the oil in a frypan then cook the tofu cubes until crispy on all sides
- Heat the tortillas then build the tacos with your favourite toppings, the tofu and then squeeze over lime juice and sprinkle with coriander and drizzle with hot sauce
I love these crispy tofu tacos with a simple, fresh coleslaw of purple cabbage and carrot with lots of lime juice and some sweet corn, but they are equally tasty with lettuce, tomato and avocado too. The tofu is not only deliciously crunchy but has a nice little kick to it as well which really works well with the creamy coleslaw and zingy lime juice. Fresh and tasty, perfect summer food in my books!
The great thing is that you can have everything else ready to go in advance and then just coat the tofu and then cook it when you’re ready to eat, meaning you can have them on the table in just a few minutes which is ideal on those hot summer evenings when you don’t want to spend ages standing over a hot stove. I’m all about making things easier round these parts!
Are you a Mexican food fan as well? Fancy trying these crispy tofu tacos?
[inlinkz_linkup id=590407 mode=1]