The colder weather is descending on Melbourne and for me that means the return of the footy on my TV (yay!) and more evenings snuggling on the couch watching movies. Both of these activities are prime for popcorn eating, so I have been playing around with some new flavour combos and I think this one is a real winner (hopefully my footy team will be too!)
You can use parmesan or any similar cheese in place of the nutritional yeast if you’d prefer, and dried garlic and rosemary rather than fresh, you just might not get as strong of a flavour. Have a play and see what you like best!
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernals
- 2tbs coconut oil
- 3tbs butter (or additional coconut oil if you’re making it vegan)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tbs fresh rosemary
- 4tbs nutritional yeast
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy based saucepan then add the popcorn kernels and shake to cover them in the oil. Pop the lid on the saucepan, leaving it slightly ajar to let the steam out
- Shake the saucepan occasionally to ensure no kernels get stuck and leave to pop
- Meanwhile, heat the butter (or coconut oil) in a small pan and add the minced garlic and fresh rosemary. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant and the garlic has changed colour
- Pour the garlic mixture over the popcorn and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and salt. Toss well to combine
This has a great savoury flavour and it doesn’t need much in the way of salt added either. The garlic and rosemary work so well together, and the addition of the cheese-like flavour of the nutritional yeast just adds that delicious final touch. I only make it in small batches otherwise I’d not be able to stop eating it!
What’s your favourite snack for movie night at home?