I had some friends round for a BBQ recently and in my books that means a potato salad! I wanted to make something a bit different and not creamy, and this lemon parsley potato salad was the perfect answer. It’s fresh and zesty, can be whipped up in advance and is oh-so-tasty!
I amended a recipe I found here
- 1kg potatoes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Zest of a large lemon
- 2tsp dijon mustard
- 2tsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- Bunch of spring onion
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks and cook in a large pot of salted boiling water until just cooked through, 5-10 minutes depending on size then drain and set aside
- Meanwhile, combine the oil, lemon juice and zest, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper in a jar. Mince the garlic and add, then shake well to combine
- Pour half over the cooked potatoes and toss to coat, then set aside to marinate for as long as you can leave them
- When ready to serve finely chop the spring onion and parsley and add to the potatoes with the remaining marinade and toss well to coat
This lemon parsley potato salad was seriously that simple, and that excellent! Be sure not to over cook the potatoes, you want them just cooked through so they keep their shape and don’t get too soft.
Whilst a creamy potato salad is definitely still a BBQ classic, I love having this zesty lemon parsley potato salad in my repertoire as well. It’s especially excellent if you’re a fan of a creamy coleslaw as part of your BBQ spread to provide some balance. Plus, the fact you can make the dressing and cook the potatoes in advance makes this even better!
The leftovers (if there are any!) keep well for a couple of days too, which is excellent given I have never under-catered for anything in my life! Plus, there’s no such thing as too many potatoes in my books.