Even after making (and eating!) my Lemon & Coconut Cake I found myself with still quite a few lemons to use up so decided I would expand my lemon baking repertoire from cakes and slices to include some cookies as well!
I may have also picked up some more lemons when out visiting my folks, so it’s lucky the weather has improved and homemade lemonade is appealing again! I definitely love me some lemons!
These cookies are super simple to make and a perfect pick-me up with a cup of tea or even an after dinner snack (or why not both!). The recipe is adapted from a Taste one I found here
- 150g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbs poppyseeds
- Juice & zest of a medium lemon
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat to combine
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, then add the poppyseeds, lemon juice and zest. Fold to combine
- Scoop out heaped tablespoons and roll into balls. Place 5cm apart on lined trays and bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack
These have a little bit of crunch to the outside and are nice and cakey in the middle – just the way I like them! The poppyseeds provide a little crunch factor which I’m always a fan of, whilst the combo of the lemon juice and zest makes sure they have a nice amount of zing to them as well. All round deliciousness really!