Over the summer I go to the cricket a lot (which you’ve probably noticed if you follow me on instagram!) and we like to take baked goods along to snack on along the way. This lemon poppyseed loaf is one such treat that I whipped up and it was rather well received, even if you do have to pick poppyseeds from your teeth afterwards!
I’ve always been a big fan of zesty, tangy lemon baked goods, so it’s lucky that my folks have very prolific fruiting lemon trees which keep me in good supply! I sure do go through a lot of them in my kitchen!
For the lemon poppyseed loaf
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4tbs poppyseeds
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Juice of a lemon
For the syrup
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and poppyseeds and set aside
- In a large bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest and rub together with your fingers until it reaches a sand-like consistency
- Add the eggs, yoghurt, coconut oil and lemon juice and stir well to combine
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and fold well together
- Pour into a lined loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until cooked through
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then continue cooling on a wire rack
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until dissolved, then continue cooking and stirring for a further 5 minutes, until the syrup has reduced somewhat
- Poke some holes in the top of the loaf with a skewer while it is still warm, and brush with the syrup. Allow to sit for a few minutes then brush again, repeating until all the syrup has soaked into the loaf
I actually added another topping to the lemon poppyseed loaf this time around for some extra lemony-kick, It’s just a simple lemon icing made from lemon juice and icing sugar which I then drizzled over the top. It’s not a necessary addition, but I do think it makes it look a little prettier!
The rubbing of the sugar and zest helps to really release the oils from the lemon zest, combining it much better with the sugar and infusing the lemony goodness throughout the loaf, rather than just when you get a bite of the zest. It really does make a difference, I promise!
This lemon poppyseed loaf makes such a delicious morning (or afternoon!) snack with a cuppa, or enjoyed during the innings break at the cricket of course! Now that I’m back at work I think I might need to make more to bring to the office!