While I was working on my Healthy Drinks Guide (which is all yours if you pop yourself on the newsletter list!) I realised I hadn’t shared any recipes for drinks for quite a while, so it’s time to rectify that with this Mint & Ginger Iced Tea!
Despite being a cold drink this iced tea is a great winter drink as the combination of ginger and mint means it is refreshing but warming, and it’s a perfect way to help boost your immune system and stave off those nasty winter lurgies. Plus, now that the sun has started shining again drinking cold drinks doesn’t seem so unappealing anymore!
Best of all it is super simple to whip up! So here goes!
- 125g fresh ginger
- 6 bags of mint tea (or 6tbs loose tea)
- 8 cups boiling water
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2tbs honey (or other sweetener)
- Fresh mint leaves
- Peel the ginger and smash it open (I used a rolling pin, but a meat tenderiser would work well too)
- Combine the ginger, mint tea, boiling water and lemon zest in a saucepan and leave to steep for 10 minutes
- Strain and stir in the honey, then leave to cool to room temperature
- Serve over ice with slightly crushed fresh mint leaves
I don’t like it too sweet so feel free to add more honey if you’d like. It’s a really nice alternative when you’re after something refreshing & water just isn’t going to cut it anymore. I drink a lot of peppermint tea in the winter, so it’s also nice to have an alternative to that as well! I used peppermint tea as that’s what I have at home, but a combination of peppermint and spearmint would be delicious as well.
What’s your favourite winter drink?