The idea for this salad came about when I spotted some gorgeous looking peaches at my local fruit & veggie shop. I wanted to do something with them a bit more special than just eat them straight or pop them on top of my overnight oats, so a peach haloumi salad it was!
This salad is a delicious combination of sweet and savoury and would make an excellent BBQ side dish given it can even be made on the grill! Delicious!
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 250g haloumi
- 3 peaches
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup rocket
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- Pop the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced by half and it is thick and syrupy. Remove from the heat, stir in the salt and allow to cool completely (it will thicken further as it cools)
- Slice the haloumi into pieces and cook in a fry pan or on a grill until golden brown on each side, set aside
- Slice the peaches into segments and pop into the same fry pan (or grill) until lightly grilled on each side then set aside
- Dry toast the pine nuts until lightly golden then remove from the heat
- Combine the rocket and spinach in a serving dish then add the haloumi, peaches and pine nuts and toss to combine
- Sprinkle with basil leaves then drizzle over the balsamic glaze
Gosh I love this salad! It’s fresh and light whilst still being filling enough thanks to the haloumi, making it the perfect light lunch or a delicious side dish. I have a feeling this will be on high rotation whenever I can get my hands on peaches!
It’s not short on texture either with the leafy greens, crunchy pine nuts, soft peaches and squeaky haloumi. Ok, so squeaky isn’t technically a texture but hopefully you know what I mean by that! The balsamic glaze is such a great salad dressing, and you can sweeten it with some honey if you like. It keeps well in the fridge for up to a week so if you’re thinking of making more salads in the week ahead then whip up a larger batch of the dressing and pop it in an airtight jar. Yum!