I am always looking for new ideas for snacks I can take with me to work to help fuel my day. I bought some puffed rice a few weeks back with no real idea what I was going to use it for, so decided to make some bars filled with all kinds of delicious extras. They turned out really well and I have been happily munching my way through them ever since! I used quite a few different ingredients in mine, but only because I already had them all in my cupboard – feel free to use whatever you have on hand!
- 3 cups puffed rice
- 2 cups add-ins, which for me was:
- 1/4 each of dried apricot, dried cranberry, goji berries, flaked coconut, dark chocolate, cashews, almonds, pepitas, and 1/2 cup caramel buckinis
- 1/4 cup rice syrup
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1tsp vanilla
- Roughly chop any larger ingredients into bite sized pieces
- Put the rice puffs in a large bowl and then add in all your mix-in ingredients
- Stir well to combine
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan add the two syrups, almond butter and vanilla. Stir over a low heat until smooth and combined
- Pour the syrup mixture over the rice mixture and stir until everything is coated
- Spoon into a lined tray and press the mixture firmly down and into the corners
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting in to pieces
Note: It is best to store this in the fridge as it stays together better.
Have you made your own bars before? Any must have ingredients I should try next time?
Did you know I Spy Plum Pie is on facebook? I share lots of photos and bits & pieces, as well as recipes and ideas from other blogs that I think might be of interest. Click here to join the fun, or just hit like in the sidebar!