After playing around with black rice after first buying it (like with this salad!) it had snuck its way to the back of my pantry and I promptly forgot about it (which possibly says a lot about the state of my pantry!) until I was looking for something to make a side dish with and stumbled across it again! Of course, you could make this salad with brown rice if you’d prefer, but there’s something about the colour and slightly nutty flavour that I really like about black rice, so if you can get your hands on it I highly recommend giving it a try!
I ate this dish warm as a side for dinner when I first made it, and then ate the leftovers as a cold salad at work and it’s equally delicious both ways!
- 1 cup black rice
- Half a pumpkin
- Snow peas
- Green beans
- 2tbs honey
- 2tbs seeded mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Cook rice using your favourite method (I’m a rice-cooker girl!)
- Peel and dice the pumpkin, drizzle in oil and roast for 20-30 minutes until cooked through but not too soft
- Trim the ends off the beans and snowpeas and steam for 2-3 minutes, until bright green and still crisp
- Cool the beans and peas in cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain
- Combine the honey, mustard, vinegar and oil in a bowl and whisk until well combined
- Combine all ingredients in a serving dish and drizzle over the dressing
Yummo! Nice and colourful and full of different flavours and textures – super important in a salad I believe!
Have you cooked with or eaten black rice before? Fancy giving it a try?
Things might be a little quiet around here over the next week or two as I’m in the process of moving house but there will be a special post up on Monday, and you can always stay in touch through the I Spy Plum Pie facebook page, twitter or instagram!