Pasta is an obvious choice for the colder nights ahead of us, and this pumpkin mushroom pasta is creamy and delicious. The best part is, despite being super creamy it actually is completely dairy free! This makes it suitable for vegans, and quite a bit healthier to boot!
- Half a medium pumpkin
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 350g pasta
- 300g mushrooms
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2tsp dried basil
- 1tsp sage
- 1tsp oregano
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Peel and dice the pumpkin and spread on a lined tray
- Add the garlic cloves (still in their skin) and drizzle the pumpkin with oil. Sprinkle with nutmeg then season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through and just starting to caramelise. Set aside to cool slightly
- Cook the pasta until al dente, drain and then cover and set aside
- Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms and then heat some oil in a pan and saute for 3-5 minutes, until softened
- Add the spinach and saute for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Toss through the pasta
- Put the pumpkin in your blender or food processor and remove the garlic from its skin and add, along with the herbs and half the stock. Blend, adding the remaining stock as required until the sauce is thick and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the pasta and mushroom mix and stir well to combine
- Serve, topped with walnuts
This dish is seriously delicious. The roasted pumpkin and garlic sauce is so creamy and full of flavour that I wanted to eat it all on its own. You’re basically pouring pumpkin soup on your pasta – how good is that! It’s an excellent way to get a few serves of veggies in to your dinner, whilst still having a hearty, warming dinner.
I usually find creamy pastas too rich for me, particularly given I don’t eat a whole lot of dairy normally. I love that this sauce allows me to have all the things I want to love in a creamy pasta without any of the downside. That’s what home cooking is all about to me!
If you want to serve this pumpkin mushroom pasta for an easy Meatless Monday dinner you can always whip up the sauce on Sunday night and just keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. This will make the dish super quick to pull together, just reheat the sauce before adding it to your cooked pasta and mushrooms. Simple! In fact, I might even try freezing the sauce while pumpkins are in season and cheap so I have access to this deliciousness all year round!