The beauty of this salad is in its simplicity, it really is just a huge variety of fresh veggies tossed through some brown rice and all tied together with some lemony avocado. Easy – definitely. Tasty – you bet! It’s the kind of salad I feel healthier after eating, there’s something about eating the rainbow that just feels right! And when it’s delicious and easy to throw together all the better!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 carrot
- Button mushrooms
- Corn cob
- Mixed greens
Feel free to sub in or out any other vegetables you have on hand – something like broccoli would work well too!
- Cook your rice however you prefer – I use a rice cooker. Leave to cool slightly when cooked.
- Dice your mushroom, carrot, zucchini, celery and tomato into small pieces – I aim for everything to be roughly the same size as the corn kernels, but don’t worry too much about it
- Remove the corn from the cob and cook in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then drain, rinse and drain again
- Mash the avocado with a fork until fairly smooth, some lumps are ok. Mix in the juice of half a lemon and season well with salt and pepper
- Add all the vegetables to the rice in a salad bowl and toss well to combine
- Squeeze over some additional lemon juice and serve with the avocado on the side
Are you a fan of eating the rainbow? What’s your favourite throw-together salad?