As we hurtle towards Christmas I’m starting to think of what I can make for all the upcoming work gatherings, catchups with friends and the like. As I’m much more of a savoury tooth than a sweet tooth (is that even what it’s called? A savoury tooth?!) I like to be in charge of salads and dips, so today I thought I’d share a recipe for one of my new favourites – roast beetroot & feta dip!
Not only is this dip absolutely bursting with flavour, it’s also makes a pretty gorgeous addition to any table of food! It takes a little longer to pull together than something like a simple hummus, but most of that time is just waiting for the beetroot and garlic to roast, so it’s not too bad. You might just want some gloves ready to avoid the ol’ stained pink fingers that comes with roasting beetroot!
- 4 small beetroot (approximately 600g)
- Head of garlic
- 160g feta
- Juice of a lemon
- 3tbs fresh dill (plus more for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Trim the roots from the beetroot and chop the top off the garlic. Place on a tray, drizzle with a little oil and roast.
- After 30 minutes remove the garlic and set aside. Roast the beetroot for another 30 minutes then leave to cool (the beetroot should be soft enough to insert a skewer the whole way through)
- Peel away the skin of the beetroot (here’s where the gloves come in handy!) and chop into pieces. Squeeze the roasted garlic from its skin and place in a food processor with the beetroot.
- Add the feta, lemon juice and finely chopped dill and blitz to combine. Taste, then season with salt.
This is one of those dips that gets better after being left for a few hours in the fridge, so it’s an excellent make-ahead option which is definitely helpful at this time of year! Roasting the beetroot might be a bit fiddly and messy, but I think it’s worth the effort for the delicious flavour you end up with, plus that gorgeous colour doesn’t hurt either!
Do you prefer to bring sweet or savoury food to parties? Fancy giving this beetroot & feta dip a try?!
[inlinkz_linkup id=465259 mode=1]