Melbourne has embraced December as only Melbourne can – with a mixture of super warm days and then some well, not so summery days. I took advantage of one of the cooler days to turn on the oven and whip up this salad, which I then proceeded to eat for dinner for the next few warm days when cooking something warm was the furthest from what I wanted to be doing!
It’s nice and hearty thanks to the chickpeas and sweet potato, and full of flavour from the spices, ginger and garlic they are cooked in. Delicious all round!
- Juice and zest of a lemon
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2tbs honey
- 2tbs nutmeg
- Thumb sized piece grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- Sweet Potato
- Can of chickpeas
- Spinach leaves
- Combine lemon juice & zest, spices, oil, honey, ginger and garlic in a bowl and whisk to combine
- Chop the zucchini and sweet potato into similar sized pieces and add to the bowl
- Roughly chop the onion and add to the bowl
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then add to the bowl
- Toss all ingredients together to coat the vegetables in the dressing, then spread onto a tray and roast for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Leave to cool slightly then put in a serving dish with the spinach, toss to combine then squeeze over more lemon juice and season with salt and pepper
What do you eat more of when the weather warms up? Are you a fan of salad for dinner?