Berry season is one of my favourite times of the year and when I saw strawberries for 99 cents a punnet at my local fruit & vege shop I knew I needed to pick up a few quick smart – some for eating, some for smoothies and some for these strawberry oat muffins!
I’m a sucker for a mid-morning muffin at work and thankfully these ones aren’t super un-healthy thanks to the addition of oats & yoghurt, and only a smidge of sugar. Plus, they have fruit so that’s a good thing too!
I slightly adapted the recipe from one I found here
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup vanilla or plain greek yoghurt
- 250g punnet strawberries
- 2tsp sugar
- 2tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1tbs baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Combine oats and yoghurt in a large bowl and stir together
- Hull the strawberries and cut into small pieces then place in a bowl and sprinkle over the sugar and balsamic vinegar. Stir to mix through and set aside
- Add the eggs, butter, brown sugar and vanilla essence to the oat mixture and fold through
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon then add to the oat mixture and fold until just combined, without over mixing
- Fold in the strawberries (and any excess liquid) and coconut until just combined then spoon in to 12 muffin cases
- Bake for 20 minutes until browned and a skewer comes out clean
Thanks to the combination of the oats and yoghurt the muffins are dense without being heavy and they’re definitely not short on flavour. I won’t blame you if you can’t stop at one!
What have you been baking recently? Fancy one of these strawberry oat muffins?!
Don’t forget, if you don’t want to miss a post then pop yourself on the I Spy Plum Pie Weekly Newsletter and you’ll even get yourself a free copy of my healthy drinks guide! Just pop your email address in the box below, it’s a spam free zone I promise!
[inlinkz_linkup id=462707 mode=1]