At this time of year I really like easy, lazy dinners like grilled haloumi or veggie burger patties served with delicious side salads. I’ve always been a fan of the ol’ potato salad (because, well potato!) but this strawberry spinach salad is one of my new favourites. It’s fresh, summery and delicious and is super easy to scale up if you have a crowd to feed!
The combination of the sweet strawberries and the tangy dressing make this salad so much more than the sum of its parts, and if you’re having trouble getting your kids to eat greens then hopefully the addition of strawberries will help!
- 250g strawberries
- 1/2 red onion
- 250g baby spinach
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1tbs sesame seeds
- 3tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1.5tbs honey (or agave)
- 1tbs poppy seeds
- 75g feta
- Hull and quarter the strawberries and finely slice the red onion
- Combine with baby spinach and set aside
- Roughly chop the almonds then dry roast in a pan until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly
- Dry toast the sesame seeds and put in a small bowl with the balsamic vinegar, oil, honey and poppy seeds. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad then sprinkle with crumbled feta
You can make the dressing in advance and pop it in the fridge until required, that way you just have to quickly toast the almonds and throw it all together and you’re good to go! Perfect! If you’re taking the salad along to a BBQ or potluck dinner then I recommend pouring the dressing on as you’re ready to eat to avoid the spinach going too limp (and to make transporting that little bit easier!).
I love the addition of fruit in an otherwise savoury salad, if we can have salty desserts we can definitely have fruity salads (other than actual fruit salad of course!).
Easy as that! Do you have a favourite summer salad? How do you feel about fruit in your salads?
[inlinkz_linkup id=484452 mode=1]