I offered to whip up a salad for a BBQ recently and decided I wanted something hearty but simple. This sweet potato avocado salad was the answer, and it was delicious! The best part is, you can prep most of it in advance which makes pulling it together when you’re ready to serve a dream.
I amended a recipe from the Coles Christmas magazine.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1tbs olive oil
- 2tsp paprika
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 corn cobs
- 1/3 cup greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of a lime
- Bunch of coriander
- 1 avocado
- 2 small red capsicum
- 1 red onion
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Slice the sweet potato in to thick batons and toss in the oil
- Combine the spices in a bowl then toss over the sweet potato. Place on baking trays and roast for 30 minutes, or until tender and starting to char.
- Meanwhile, grill the corn until lightly charred then leave to cool. Once cool, remove the kernels from the cob
- Combine the yoghurt, mayonnaise, lime juice and half a cup of finely chopped coriander leaves in a bowl and stir to combine
- Slice the avocado into wedges and thinly slice the capsicum and red onion
- Combine all ingredients in a serving dish, toss to combine and drizzle with the dressing
- Top with remaining fresh coriander
I love the combo of the tangy dressing with the lightly spiced sweet potato and creamy avocado. It’s such a winning mix and this is definitely a salad I will be making again and again. You can roast the sweet potato and grill the corn in advance, and even slice the onion and capsicum in advance. Then, just whip up the dressing, combine everything and add the fresh avocado and coriander and you’re good to go. Seriously, what’s not to love about this sweet potato avocado salad!?