This sweet potato pickle salad is perfect for a BBQ or potluck dinner and is absolutely bursting with tangy, zesty flavours. It’s simple to whip up, doesn’t require any fancy ingredients and suitable for vegans as well – what more could you want?!
I slightly amended the recipe from one in the Fired Up Vegetarian Cookbook by Ross Dobson (which is an absolutely fantastic cookbook for making the most of your BBQ as a vego!). Unsurprisingly it calls for the sweet potato to be grilled on the BBQ, but it was a hot, windy day when I was making this so I decided to avoid lighting my BBQ and roasting the sweet potato instead. It still turned out delicious, so that’s the method I’ll share with you all today!
- Medium sweet potato
- 1tsp caraway seeds
- 2 medium or 10 mini dill pickles
- 1 red chilli
- 3-4 tsp fresh mint
- 2tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1tsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Slice the sweet potato into approximately 5mm thick rounds
- Toss in oil and sprinkle with caraway seeds
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, until starting to get crispy
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the dill pickles and chilli and place on a serving dish
- Roughly chop the mint and toss with the pickles and chilli
- In a small bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil and sugar
- When the sweet potato is cooked toss with the pickles, chilli and mint and drizzle over the dressing. Allow to infuse for 30 minutes then serve
I really loved this salad and I have a feeling it will be on high rotation in my kitchen over these warmer months. I’ll definitely be trying it out on the BBQ very soon as well and it will be interesting to see how different the flavours are!
A few years ago if you had told me I would have pickles in my fridge at all times and would be searching out for new ways to use them I would have probably laughed, but you can now add them to the ever-growing list of foods I somewhat suddenly have come around on! I guess your tastebuds really can change!