With Spring in the air and delicious produce in the fruit & veggie shop I’m all about simple dinners that really allow the veggies to really be the star of the dish. I find risottos really fit this bill and today’s zucchini & pea risotto is a perfect example!
The combination of the creamy rice, slightly caramelised zucchini and bursts of sweetness from the peas it makes a perfect dinner, and the best part about risottos is they make excellent leftovers the next day as well!
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2tbs butter
- 1 leek
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups peas
- 2tbs fresh mint
- Goats cheese (optional)
- Bring the stock to boil then reduce to a simmer
- Halve the zucchini then thinly slice. Mince the garlic
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the zucchini and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until the zucchini has softened
- Remove from the pan and add the leek. Cook until softened then add the rice and stir to coat
- Add the white wine, stir and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Stir in a ladleful of the stock and cook until absorbed.
- Repeat until almost all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is just cooked.
- With the final ladle of stock add the zucchini and peas and stir through. Cook until the peas are tender and the liquid is all absorbed
- Serve and top with finely chopped mint and crumble on some goats cheese (or parmesan)
Opening a bottle of wine to cook with means I should probably have a glass of wine while I eat it as well! Can’t complain about that!
The tastes of Spring in a bowl!