On the morning of my birthday I was treated to a delicious pancake breakfast made by B. I whipped up the batter the night before so we didn’t have to think too much in the morning, and served them up with chopped bananas, strawberries and a little of the salted caramel sauce leftover from my birthday cupcakes! Oh, and a sneaky glass of champagne too!
This recipe is slightly adapted from here
- 2 cups milk
- 2tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 mashed bananas (the riper the better!)
- 2 eggs
- 2tbs melted butter
- 1tbs vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a bowl and leave for 10 minutes to curdle slightly (this makes homemade buttermilk)
- Add the mashed banana, eggs, butter and vanilla and whisk to combine
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix until just combined. Leave aside for at least 10 minutes to allow the baking powder to activate
- Heat a frypan over medium heat and melt some butter on it (skip the butter if it’s non stick), pour some of the batter into the pan (roughly 1/3 cup works well) and cook until it starts to form little bubbles. Flip, and cook the other side until golden brown
- Repeat with the remainder of the batter then serve with your choice of toppings!
It was a pretty delicious way to kick off my birthday celebrations, that’s for sure! And if you hold the salted caramel sauce then they’re not overly unhealthy either, so they’d make a great Sunday morning treat!
What’s your favourite pancake topping? A simple lemon and sugar, or something more decadent?