I’ve been all about salads this winter to help balance the heavier, warming meals I’ve been making. It hasn’t hurt that I’ve been getting some amazing fresh produce in my veggie boxes either! This fennel radish apple salad is one that has been on high rotation lately. It couldn’t be more simple either!
- Fennel bulb
- Bunch of radishes
- 2 small apples
- Head of lettuce
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2tbs lemon juice
- 2tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Thinly slice the fennel, reserving the fronds
- Thinly slice the radishes and apples
- Roughly chop the lettuce
- Combine the fennel, radishes, lettuce and apples in a serving bowl and toss to combine
- Sprinkle over the walnuts
- Combine the oil, lemon juice and mustard and whisk well, then season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle over the salad and toss
- Top with the fennel fronds and some fresh parsley
That’s all there is to this fennel radish apple salad – no cooking required! It’s fresh, crunchy, bitter and zesty all at the same time. I love serving it with rich pasta dishes or on the side of hearty stew-type dishes. It’s such a good way to get some fresh ingredients into my diet during winter!
It’s nice to have something that doesn’t involve turning on the oven (or even the stove!) to prepare. That’s such a rarity in winter! Plus it means pretty much no dishes except the chopping board and a bowl for the dressing – definitely a win in my books!
If you have a mandolin then it’s an excellent option for this fennel radish apple salad to get super thinly sliced ingredients. I don’t, so just chopped them as finely as I could myself. It doesn’t make a huge difference really! You can obviously use whatever lettuce you have on hand too – I went with what was in my veggie box which happened to also add some lovely colour to the dish!