I’m one of those people that eats breakfast almost the second I get up, I can’t really function until I have some food in my stomach. This probably stems from the fact I eat dinner pretty early (such a nanna!) so by 6.15 when my alarm sounds I’m definitely ready for a meal!
The only downside of this is that no matter how hearty and filling my breakfast is I’m generally getting pretty hungry by around 11am and need something to tide me over until lunchtime rolls around. Dips are a common staple, but as it’s been rather cold recently I’ve been drinking endless cups of peppermint tea so I thought I’d bake something that will go perfectly with a mid-morning cuppa – fruit and oat slice!
Recipe adapted from here
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 each of dried apricots, sultanas, cranberries & dates
- 1/4 cup each of almonds & walnuts
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2tbs honey
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a tray with baking paper, leaving some to overhang each end
- Mix together the oats, flour and coconut
- Roughly chop the apricots, dates, almonds and walnuts then add to the oats with the cranberries and sultanas
- In a small saucepan melt the butter with the brown sugar and honey, stirring until the sugar is dissolved
- Pour over the oats mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is coated
- Spoon into the tray and press down and into the corners. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is turning golden
- Leave to cool completely in the tray then remove and chop into pieces
It’s jam-packed with delicious morsels of fruit and has been perfect for ensuring I don’t get hangry mid-morning at work! It would make a great lunchbox treat too, you can easily swap out the nuts for more fruit if nut-free is a requirement!
Are you an early-breakfast eater too? Any suggestions for mid-morning snacks would be greatly appreciated!
LilaJuly 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm (9 years ago)
Sounds and a looks awesome!Reply
Lila recently posted…Little Veggie Kitchen – Orange you glad I baked a tart?
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)July 22, 2014 at 8:44 am (9 years ago)
Thanks lovely xx
RebeccaJuly 23, 2014 at 6:07 pm (9 years ago)
They look delish! What a perfect way to curb those afternoon sugar cravings! I will be giving them a go 🙂Reply
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)July 24, 2014 at 6:58 pm (9 years ago)
Yep, they really hit the spot about 3pm (or 11am!), and much more filling than some chips!
Lucy @ Bake Play SmileAugust 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm (9 years ago)
Deeeelish!!! I am exactly the same as you – I eat breakfast really early and then get hungry again mid-morning. I usually have fruit and yoghurt, but gosh I can see that your fruit and oat slice is going to be my new favourite!! Thank you so much for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party xxxReply
Lucy @ Bake Play Smile recently posted…Fabulous Foodie Fridays #16 – Cornflake Cookies
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)August 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm (9 years ago)
I just can’t make it through to lunch! I hope you like it! Thanks for hosting such a fab link up!
JenelleJuly 9, 2017 at 12:35 am (6 years ago)
Heya, thanks for the recipe! I tried it out and it was quite a bit dry and hard for me. Would you suggest adding yoghurt or something else to make them softer?Reply
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)July 9, 2017 at 9:36 am (6 years ago)
Hi Jenelle, it’s meant to be quite crunchy but maybe try adding a little extra butter or milk to make them a bit softer!
JenelleJuly 15, 2017 at 3:56 pm (6 years ago)
Thank you so much! I think I left it in the oven a little too long last time too, will give it another go! 🙂