I was after a salad recently to serve alongside a hearty winter dinner and this pear fennel winter salad certainly hit the spot. It’s fresh, delicious and super simple to whip up so you can have it on the table in no time. It’s a great way to get some fresh veggies in over the cooler weather!
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2 pears
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup sharp cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2tbs dijon mustard
- Wash and dry the greens and place in your serving bowl
- Slice the pears and add to the bowl
- Thinly slice the fennel and add to the bowl along with the dried cranberries
- Roughly chop the walnuts and pecans and add, tossing to combine all ingredients
- Top with shaved cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard. Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve
This pear fennel winter salad really is that simple! I love that it doesn’t require the stove or oven – perfect for when you have lots of other things on the go! I find having a fresh salad on the table is a great way to make sure I am balancing my dinner with something crunchy and full of greens. It certainly helps when it’s this tasty too!
The dressing is super simple but it is a key component of making this pear fennel winter salad sing. It adds some excellent zing to go with the sweet pear, aniseed-y fennel and tart cranberries. If you want to make a vegan version then just leave out the cheese – you might just want a little more salt in your dressing to balance things out.