Like most people, when the weather cools down it becomes soup central at my place. Potato and leek soup is always one of my go-to options, it’s so easy to make but just so delicious. Thick, creamy, packed with flavour – what more could you want!
- 2 leeks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 medium/large potatoes
- Fresh thyme (I used about 2tbs but add to your taste)
- 1 litre veggie stock
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- Dice the leeks
- Crush the garlic
- Dice the potatoes
- Remove the leaves from the thyme
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan and saute the leek and garlic until softened
- Add the potato and the thyme and stir to combine
- Pour in the veggie stock, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the potato is soft
- Drain the cannellini beans and add to the pot, cooking until warmed through
- Cool slightly then blend and reheat
- Season with salt and pepper and top with more fresh thyme
That’s all there is to potato and leek soup! I like to add cannellini beans to mine to make it extra hearty and a more complete meal, but if you don’t have any then it’s still delicious without them. I know lots of people like to finish their soup off with cream but I find it creamy enough without (and a tad healthier too!).
I find this potato and leek soup freezes well too, so you’ll usually find my freezer packed with serves at this time of year! It’s lucky it’s so quick and simple to whip up so I can keep restocking it because it never hangs around long – it’s too tasty for that!