At the moment it seems to be a tie between soups and salads as to what I’m enjoying cooking the most. I love the seemingly endless variety with both of them, with the added bonus that I can whip up a big batch that will see me through most of the working week for lunches. This salad came about after wanting to roast some cauliflower and the combination of cumin-coated cauliflower with a tahini-lemon dressing seemed too good not to try! Luckily, it turned out as delicious as I hoped and proved to be a hearty salad to get me through the afternoon at work.
- Head of cauliflower
- Can of chickpeas
- Salad greens
- Almonds (roughly 1/4 cup)
- Sultanas (A big handful!)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbs tahini
- Clove of garlic
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and then put in a roasting dish with olive oil and a good sprinkling of cumin. Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally. Leave to slightly cool when cooked
- Dry roast the almonds for a few minutes and then leave aside to cool
- Mince the garlic then add the tahini, lemon juice and some olive oil (approx 1tbs) and mix with a fork until smooth. Thin out with additional oil or water until your desired consistency (I added approx 3 tbs water)
- Rinse and dry the chickpeas and salad and add to a bowl
- Roughly chop the cooled almonds and add to the bowl
- Add the sultanas
- Add the cauliflower and mix through
- Pour over the dressing and combine well
What are you loving cooking with at the moment? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
This post is linked with the Veggie Mama Meatless Monday link-up, and I highly recommend hopping over to see what everyone has cooked this week!
Elizabeth MarsJuly 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm (10 years ago)
This looks great. I only started roasting cauliflower a couple of years ago but its spectacular roasted – tahini dressing goes really well with cauliflower too.Reply
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)July 9, 2013 at 3:12 pm (10 years ago)
Tahini and cauliflower really are perfect together, aren’t they! Cauliflower roasts so well – it holds its shape too so it works well in a salad as it doesn’t just become a pile of mush!
Lisa @ Greek VegetarianJuly 9, 2013 at 3:05 pm (10 years ago)
Roasting cauliflower is something I’ve only recently discovered too. I tend to forget about salads in the winter but this one sounds amazing! Might have to do a bit of summertime fantasising and get back into the salad routine I think!Reply
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)July 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm (10 years ago)
There was something about the combination of roasted cauliflower and the tahnini dressing that made this feel winter appropriate to me. Although I’m pretty much on the salad train all year round as I find them the easiest thing to make a big batch of for work lunches. Luckily there’s so much variety!