If you’re looking for a healthy, delicious and oh-so-simple dish to add to your rotation look no further than these spiced tomato chickpeas. One pan, a handful of ingredients, and very little effort and yet the end outcome is packed with flavour!
- Medium onion
- 1tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1tbs cumin
- 2tsp garam masala
- 1.5tsp turmeric
- 1-2tsp chilli powder (to taste)
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- Dice the onion
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, cooking until softened and translucent
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic
- Add the garlic and spices to the pan, stirring to combine and cook for 30 seconds
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the pan, tossing to coat in the spiced onion mix
- Pour in the tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened
That’s seriously all there is to these spiced tomato chickpeas! Don’t let the simplicity fool you though, they are not only tasty but really versatile too. I like to serve them with salad and pita bread for an easy and healthy lunch option – they reheat well too. One of my other favourite uses for these spiced tomato chickpeas is on top of a baked potato – so good. They also work well in a wrap, with rice or couscous, you name it basically!
I particularly love a recipe that is all about pantry staples – it’s such a good one to have you in your back pocket for those days you just haven’t quite made it to the shops. It’s also a remarkably cheap dish to make, which is never something to complain about! It’s safe to say I highly recommend you give these spiced tomato chickpeas a try!