I recently found myself in the mood for a salad packed with greens and flavour but also had some potatoes that needed using. The end result was this potato asparagus salad, perfect for Spring! Take it to picnics, serve it at BBQs, have it for lunch – whatever takes your fancy!
For the Dressing
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
For the Salad
- 300g potatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- Olive oil
- 300g asparagus
- 1 small zucchini
- Mixed salad leaves
- Flaked almonds to serve
- Mince the garlic and then combine with the oil, lemon juice, mint and mustard and blend until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste then set aside.
- Cut the potatoes into halves and boil until just cooked through, then set them aside to cool
- Cook the peas until just cooked then drain and place into ice cold water to refresh then drain again
- Heat the oil in a griddle pan and cook the asparagus until starting to char
- Thinly slice the zucchini and then cook on the griddle pan until also charred
- Combine the potatoes, peas, asparagus and zucchini with salad greens in a serving bowl and drizzle over the dressing
- Sprinkle over some flaked almonds to serve
I love that this potato asparagus salad doesn’t require turning on the oven at all! That makes it perfect for warmer days when adding oven heat into the mix just isn’t at all appealing! You don’t miss out on any of the flavour though – the minty, mustardy dressing does all that for you! I like to use my stick blender to make the dressing as it’s perfect for something of this quantity, but a regular blender will work well too.
You really want to avoid over-cooking any of the vegetables in this salad to ensure you get some good texture in the mix. This isn’t the place for mushy potatoes and limp asparagus! I also like to use a mix of lettuce for some colour and texture, but whatever you have on hand will work I’m sure!