I didn’t think there were still new ways I could enjoy the combo of sweet potato and chickpeas, but turns out I was wrong! This sweet potato and harissa chickpea salad is seriously delicious – not to mention hearty and simple to whip up!
I tweaked a recipe from Neighbourhood
- 1.5kg sweet potato
- 3tsp cumin seeds
- 2tbs olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 2-3tbs harissa paste
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 250g baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Dice the sweet potato into 1-2cm cubes and place on lined baking trays. Drizzle with 1tbs olive oil and the cumin seeds
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, until tender and starting to caramelise
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the red onion
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and cook the onions with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes, or until softened
- Add the harissa paste (to taste) and then add the drained and rinsed chickpeas. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring to ensure the chickpeas are well coated
- In a serving dish combine the spinach with the sweet potato and chickpea mixture
- Top with the fresh herbs and squeeze over the juice of the lemon
- Sprinkle over toasted flaked almonds
I love how much flavour there is in this sweet potato and harissa chickpea salad from so few ingredients! The combination of cumin and harissa is definitely a winning one – but be sure to manage the amount of harissa you use to suit your heat tolerance!
It’s an excellent salad for both a standalone lunch option or as part of a delicious spread – I have done it for both already! It’s vegan and gluten free friendly as well so perfect if you’re catering for some dietary requirements (just check the ingredients of your harissa paste to be certain). Spicy, hearty, fresh, crunchy – what more could you want from a salad!