These walnut brownies were whipped up for the same fundraising afternoon tea that I took the lemon coconut cupcakes to and they were as equally well received! They are seriously fudgey and chocolatey and I try to pretend that the walnuts make them healthy but I’d be kidding myself if I actually believed that! They are delicious though!
The recipe for these walnut brownies came from The Sweet Food cookbook from Murdoch Books, which is an excellent little cookbook that I have had for years and years!
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 330g melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 250g choc-chips
- 125g walnuts
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Combine the flour and cocoa then stir in the sugar
- Make a well in the centre then add the butter
- Lightly beat the eggs then add to the well along with the vanilla essence
- Beat until smooth
- Add the chocolate bits and break the walnuts into rough pieces then add to the batter, folding to combine
- Spoon into a 20x30cm tin, lined with baking paper, and smooth the surface. Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm and a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to continue cooling
- Dust with icing sugar then slice, serve and enjoy!
I cut them into smallish pieces because they are quite rich given all that butter, cocoa and choc-chips. Thankfully these walnut brownies got devoured pretty quickly which meant I wasn’t tempted to bring any leftovers home with me! Given the whole point was that these were for a fundraiser it’s probably a good thing that they all got snapped up as that meant more donations!
I do love the crunch factor that the walnuts bring to these brownies, although I do love a good crunch element in pretty much anything!
leaf (the indolent cook)March 29, 2016 at 1:25 am (7 years ago)
Your walnut brownies look fabulous, I’m not surprised that they were all snapped up quickly! 😀Reply
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)March 29, 2016 at 3:57 pm (7 years ago)
I have a feeling I better make more for work soon!
merilynMarch 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm (7 years ago)
they look the business liz!Reply
and I bet they are delicious!
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)March 29, 2016 at 3:58 pm (7 years ago)
Karin @ Calm to ConniptionApril 3, 2016 at 9:21 pm (7 years ago)
I have some Walnuts floating around in my pantry. I might have to try this one out.Reply
Karin @ Calm to Conniption recently posted…#4 Get By With A Little Help From Your Friends
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)April 11, 2016 at 6:06 pm (7 years ago)
Any excuse to make brownies in my books!