Kicking things off for 2022 is a salad we made for Christmas – and it’s as delicious as it is colourful! This nectarine haloumi and pomegranate salad is packed with flavour, seriously simple to make and perfect for BBQs or a light summer dinner. So good!
We tweaked a recipe found here
- 1 cup freekah
- 225g haloumi
- 3 nectarines
- Baby cos lettuce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 2tbs pomegranate molasses
- 2tsp honey
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
- Half a pomegranate
- Cook the freekah according to packet directions (around 20-25 minutes) until tender, then set aside to cool
- Slice the haloumi into batons and cook in a frying pan with a little oil until golden on all sides then set aside
- Cut the nectarines into wedges and cook in the frying pan, or on a griddle pan, until lightly charred
- Tear the lettuce and place on a serving platter
- Whisk together the oil, juice of a lemon, pomegranate molasses, honey and chilli flakes then season with salt and pepper
- Pour half the dressing over the cooked freekah along with most of the chopped parsley, toss to coat
- Spoon the freekah over the lettuce then top with haloumi and nectarines
- Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and remaining parsley, then drizzle with remaining dressing
This nectarine haloumi and pomegranate salad is seriously that simple to make! We prepared the freekah and dressing and removed the pomegranate seeds the day before which made it all very quick to put together on Christmas day (and a lot less messy!).
It sure did make for a pretty salad on the Christmas table, but more importantly it was delicious too! I think it would be a great option for a BBQ – you could even cook the haloumi and nectarines right on the BBQ and avoiding creating more dishes! Such a delicious way to use summer stonefruit, that’s for sure.