I love eggplant. Whenever we go out for dinner I am always drawn to anything on the menu with eggplant in it, particularly if we’re eating japanese. However, I don’t have anywhere near the same success with it at home. In fact, I don’t cook with it all that often, because I’m sick of being somewhat disappointed with the results. If anyone has any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong I’d love to hear them!
Baba ghanoush however is a different story – this is almost impossible to get wrong, so I can get my eggplant hit at home in the form of a delicious dip – win!
- Large eggplant
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 4 tbs lemon juice
- 4 tbs tahini
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Using a fork prick the eggplant all over, then place in the oven on a baking tray for 30-40 minutes. Turn it occasionally and remove when it is soft
- Finely dice the garlic
- Place the eggplant in a bowl of cold water, then peel the skin off
- Put the eggplant in your food processor along with the garlic, lemon juice, tahini and cumin and blend
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then remove and put in a bowl
- If needed, stir through olive oil (mine didn’t need it this time)
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before enjoying
How do you use eggplant? Any tips or suggestions for me?!