Now that I’m back into the swing of the working year it was time to pull out the baking pans and whip up some delicious muffins to help get me through the mid-morning slump. I had a freezer full of overripe bananas so decided that summery banana passionfruit muffins were the order of the day!
The banana makes these muffins deliciously moist and the addition of the passionfruit and coconut gives them a touch of summery sweetness. They go perfectly with a cuppa so I’ve been making these my mid-morning treat at work which I’m thoroughly enjoying!
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 3 large overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Pulp of 3 passionfruit
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and set aside
- Mash the bananas and then add sugar, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour and fold until just combined
- Add the coconut and passionfruit and lightly fold through.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 25 minutes, until lightly golden and cooked through
- Leave to cool in the pan then finish cooling on a wire rack
I used applesauce in place of butter to ensure these could be dairy free so my dad could eat them, but if dairy isn’t a concern for you then feel free to switch out the applesauce for an equal amount of melted butter. Either way they will be delicious!
If you can’t get your hands on fresh passionfruit then you could use a can of passionfruit pulp instead, just check the ingredients list to make sure it doesn’t have added nasties in it!