I haven’t done much baking in recent times but when I got an itch to make some muffins I decided to at least try and make them a little on the healthier side. These babies are dairy free and use wholemeal spelt flour so are a bit more dense than those giant muffins you might find in a cafe. They’re super easy to throw together and you don’t even need to pull out the beaters – less washing up is always a plus in my books!
The recipe is adapted from this recipe from A Hint of Honey.
- 1 3/4 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt (or plain yoghurt if that’s what you have)
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 1/2 cup coconut, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Put flour, baking powder, salt, spices and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine
- In a separate bowl mash the banana then add the coconut oil, yoghurt, eggs and vanilla and whisk well to combine
- Fold in the flour mixture
- Chop the tops off the strawberries then cut into small pieces. Add the strawberries and coconut to the batter and fold through
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases and bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack
The sweet bites of strawberries were a great mix with the coconut in all its forms in these cupcakes. Luckily they are at least vaguely healthy because it’s hard to stop at one!
They go particularly well with a mid-morning cup of tea, or a mid-arvo cup of tea. Or both!
What have you been baking lately?