I found myself with a fruit bowl of very ripe bananas recently so knew it was time to get baking! This blueberry banana bread was the result and it’s an absolute winner. Moist, delicious and not too sweet either!
I tweaked a recipe I found on Taste
- 50g butter
1/2 cup milk
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 150g blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 20x10cm loaf tin with baking paper
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool
- Lightly whisk the eggs then combine with the milk, vanilla essence, mashed banana and butter
- In a large bowl sift together the flours then stir in the butter and cinnamon
- Add the banana mixture and the blueberries to the flour and fold until just combined
- Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the top
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the pan then cool completely on a wire rack
That’s it! That’s all there is to this delicious blueberry banana bread! I used frozen blueberries and just let them defrost before adding them to the batter. They add a bit more of a purple swirl to the batter than fresh blueberries, but I don’t mind that at all!
If you find that the top is getting too dark before it is cooked through properly then just pop some foil on top. No one wants to burn their blueberry banana bread!
If you’re like me and keep bananas and blueberries in your freezer then this cake makes an excellent emergency baking option. Everything else are ingredients you likely have on hand anyway! My kind of baking!
Clearly I’m a pretty big fan of banana bread options given the number I have shared here before. If you’re after some other options to try, maybe raspberry, macadamia, pecan or date and walnut are worth a try too!