When I first went vegetarian red lentil dahl was a staple in my kitchen – it’s cheap, healthy, ready in no time and fills you right up. It had been a while since I had cooked it but got a hankering lately and quickly remembered why I liked it so much! I have a feeling it will be showing up in my meal plans a lot again!
- 1 1/4 cups red lentils
- 2tbs vegetable oil
- Brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3cm fresh ginger
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp turmeric
- Can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups hot water
- 1tsp garam masala
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- Rice, pappadums, naan, mango chutney, yoghurt (optional)
- Rinse the red lentils and set aside
- Finely dice the onion, garlic and ginger
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, garlic and ginger for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened
- Add the cumin and turmeric and stir to combine, cooking for 1 minute
- Add the red lentils and toss to coat in the onion spice mixture
- Add the tomatoes, hot water and garam masala and stir
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened to a similar consistency of porridge, adding extra water if need be
- Season with salt then serve with fresh coriander on top
You can serve the red lentil dahl on its own, or paired with rice, naan bread, pappadums or whatever else takes your fancy! I like to also top mine with spicy mango chutney and often a dollop of yoghurt as well. You can really make it your own!
The dahl reheats well too, so it’s an excellent option if, like me, you’re fan of batch cooking! Given it can be on the table in around 25 minutes and uses pantry staples it’s perfect for those mid week dinners when you’re short on time or enthusiasm, but still want something both healthy and filling. Really, it’s just a winning option all round!