They did some filming at my house last week and we were left with a large pile of very ripe bananas, which I assume were used as set dressing for the scenes in the kitchen. We had been using them in smoothies but they hadn’t gotten so ripe that even putting them in smoothies wasn’t appetising anymore! So banana and walnut loaf came to the rescue instead!
This is a super simple recipe that takes about 15 minutes to whip up, and about 55 minutes in the oven.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and lightly grease a 23 x 13 x 8 centimetre loaf pan with some butter
- Mash the bananas in a bowl with a fork
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in a liquid measuring cup with a spout, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, and when light and fluffy start gradually adding the egg mixture. Keep mixing until it’s all incorporated.
- Mix in the bananas and don’t fret if the mixture looks curdled, it will be fine
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt, and fold until it’s just mixed.
- Fold in the walnuts and then transfer into your pan
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for about 5 minutes then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely
What’s your favourite way to use over-ripe bananas?
Patrons of the PitJanuary 29, 2013 at 2:58 am (10 years ago)
love that stuff!Reply
IngridJanuary 30, 2013 at 11:16 am (10 years ago)
Yum! Looks delicious and I love a good walnut and banana loaf. So good!
Wanted to email you a copy of the Donna Hay lamington recipee. Could you send me your email please and I’ll get it done? 🙂 XReply
I Spy Plum PieJanuary 30, 2013 at 11:42 am (10 years ago)
Just sent you an email – that would be amazing, thanks so much! You’re a star xx
Catherine @ The SpringFebruary 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm (10 years ago)
Hi! I’ve been looking for a new recipe to make the most of a couple over-ripe bananas sitting on my counter… and I think this is going to be it! It’s my first time on your blog and I’m loving looking through the delicious ideas!
x Catherine @ The Spring (in Brisbane)Reply
adminFebruary 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm (10 years ago)
Thanks for the lovely comment! The loaf didn’t last long at all at my house, so I think that’s a good sign! Hope you enjoy it too