So I guess technically these BBQ pulled mushrooms aren’t exactly pulled, but they sure are delicious! I’ve been vegetarian so long that I missed the whole pulled pork phenomenon, but I can still appreciate a hearty sandwich filler! A quick and easy homemade BBQ sauce, a pile of mushrooms and you’re well on your way to deliciousness!
The recipe is from Oh My Veggies
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 600g mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- Combine the water, tomato paste, molasses, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke and paprika in a small bowl and stir together. Set aside
- Very thinly slice the mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat then add the mushrooms. Cook on one side for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Dice the onion and add to the pan, stirring through and cook for 5 minutes
- Mince the garlic and add to the pan, cooking for 1 minute until fragrant
- Pour in the sauce and toss to coat the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens and the mushrooms are very tender. Season with salt and pepper
I love to serve these BBQ pulled mushrooms stuffed into a roll or sandwich with some crunchy, fresh veggies to go with them. A zesty coleslaw is an excellent addition, as are fresh, crisp lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. The mushrooms themselves are so soft and tender and the BBQ sauce is so simple, yet so full of flavour. When it’s that quick and easy to whip up your own sauce there’s no need to buy one full of sugar and preservatives!
They might not be the prettiest rolls you’ve ever seen, but they sure are mighty tasty I promise!