I don’t cook with jackfruit anywhere often enough, but I’m always happy when I do! This pulled BBQ jackfruit made for excellent burgers – super easy, seriously tasty and vegan friendly too! Plus, the BBQ jackfruit reheats well so it’s an excellent prep-ahead option.
I slightly tweaked a recipe from A Saucy Kitchen
For the BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup passata
- 2tbs tomato paste
- 1tbs molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1tbs smoked paprika
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1-2tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 2tsp liquid smoke (optional)
For the Pulled Jackfruit
- 1 brown onion
- 1tbs olive oil
- 2 large cans (550g) jackfruit in brine
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup water
- Hot sauce, to taste
- To make the BBQ sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together over medium heat for 10 minutes, until thickened and combined. Taste and season as necessary
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Dice the onion
- Heat the oil in a frypan and then add the onion and and cook for 5-7 minutes, until translucent and soft
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit then add to the pan along with the BBQ sauce and water. Combine well then cover and cook over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes
- Tear the jackfruit with two forks until it resembles pulled meat, stir through hot sauce, then place on a lined baking tray
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until starting to caramelise around the edges then serve
That’s all there is to this pulled BBQ jackfruit! To be honest I probably could have ‘pulled’ mine more, but it’s delicious regardless! I served the BBQ jackfruit in burgers with some fresh avocado, crunchy lettuce and some zesty coleslaw which made for an excellent combo. Slightly messy, but still awesome! I also turned the BBQ jackfruit in to an amazing pizza topping later in the week which I highly recommend as well. Such a versatile and delicious recipe!
You can make the BBQ sauce in advance as well – or double the recipe and have delicious BBQ sauce on hand for other uses. We were never a BBQ sauce family growing up – probably because the commercial ones are so sweet – but it’s something I’m enjoying much more these days. Particularly now I know how quick and easy it is to make with ingredients I have in my pantry!
This pulled BBQ jackfruit has become a serious go-to in my house – it’s safe to say I won’t be going that long between jackfruit eating again any time soon!