I was doing some baking for work again recently and decided carrot cake cupcakes were the go. I love anything with cream cheese icing and these were no exception! Delicious, easy to whip up and alllllmost healthy!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 1tsp bicarb soda
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp nutmeg
- Zest of a lemon
- 2 eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g carrots
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 80g butter
- 250g cream cheese
- Juice of a lemon
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1-1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 12-hole cupcake tin
- Mix together the sugar, flour, bicarb, spices and lemon zest in a large bowl
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs and oil
- Grate the carrots and roughly chop the walnuts and add to the dry ingredients with the oil mixture, folding to combine
- Spoon into the prepared tins and bake for 20-22 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack
- Meanwhile, beat the butter until smooth and light then beat in the cream cheese, lemon juice and vanilla essence until smooth, then gradually add the icing sugar until smooth and it reaches your desired thickness. Swirl onto the cupcakes with a knife then top with a walnut
I love how simple these carrot cake cupcakes are, and how quickly they can be prepared. Plus, y’know, they’re delicious as well which is pretty important. You can leave out the walnuts if you need them to be nut-free, but otherwise I love the little crunch they add.
You can make the cupcakes the day before and ice them as needed as well if required, which makes them perfect for birthdays and other events where there might be a lot of food prep happening. Or just for when you need to have cupcakes on hand!