I often make a quick pattie or fritter for a light dinner and these cauliflower carrot fritters are my new favourite. Serve them with a pile of salad and you’ve got yourself a healthy & delicious meal. Plus, they are so quick and easy to prepare!
I slightly amended a recipe from Oh My Veggies
- Small head of cauliflower
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1tbs paprika
- 1/2tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne peppers
- Half a bunch of spring onions
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and the carrot into matchsticks
- Add to a saucepan with 4 cups water and boil for 4 minutes then drain and pat dry
- Finely chop the cauliflower and carrot and add to a bowl with the flour and toss until coated
- Add the nutritional yeast, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper then thinly slice the spring onion and toss through
- Lightly beat the egg then add to the bowl, stirring until everything is combined
- Heat some oil in a fry pan and spoon in 1/4 cup portions, pressing down with a spatula. Cook for 4 minutes then flip and cook for another 4 minutes, until golden on both sides. Repeat with the remaining batter.
I served these with a delicious paprika-cashew cream, but go with whatever you have on hand. Aioli, sweet chilli, even good ol’ tomato sauce – these bad boys are versatile enough for anything!
If you don’t have nutritional yeast on hand then feel free to use parmesan, but if you want to keep them vegetarian friendly then make sure you choose a cheese without animal rennet. I like knowing I’m getting a good burst of B12 when I use nutritional yeast though!