I’m one of those people that eats breakfast almost the second I get up, I can’t really function until I have some food in my stomach. This probably stems from the fact I eat dinner pretty early (such a nanna!) so by 6.15 when my alarm sounds I’m definitely ready for a meal!
The only downside of this is that no matter how hearty and filling my breakfast is I’m generally getting pretty hungry by around 11am and need something to tide me over until lunchtime rolls around. Dips are a common staple, but as it’s been rather cold recently I’ve been drinking endless cups of peppermint tea so I thought I’d bake something that will go perfectly with a mid-morning cuppa – fruit and oat slice!
Recipe adapted from here
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 each of dried apricots, sultanas, cranberries & dates
- 1/4 cup each of almonds & walnuts
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2tbs honey
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a tray with baking paper, leaving some to overhang each end
- Mix together the oats, flour and coconut
- Roughly chop the apricots, dates, almonds and walnuts then add to the oats with the cranberries and sultanas
- In a small saucepan melt the butter with the brown sugar and honey, stirring until the sugar is dissolved
- Pour over the oats mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is coated
- Spoon into the tray and press down and into the corners. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is turning golden
- Leave to cool completely in the tray then remove and chop into pieces
It’s jam-packed with delicious morsels of fruit and has been perfect for ensuring I don’t get hangry mid-morning at work! It would make a great lunchbox treat too, you can easily swap out the nuts for more fruit if nut-free is a requirement!
Are you an early-breakfast eater too? Any suggestions for mid-morning snacks would be greatly appreciated!