My love for haloumi is well documented and so this haloumi brown rice salad has quickly become a favourite for work lunches and potluck dinners. It’s quick and easy to whip up, fresh and filling and oh-so-delicious!
I slightly tweaked the recipe from one I found at Taste
- 1.5 cups brown rice
1 small red onion
1 bunch radishes
2 cups rocket
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/3 cup pecans
1/3 cup pepitas
- 250g haloumi
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove
- Cook the brown rice then set aside to cool
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the red onion and radishes and place in a bowl
- Add the rocket, mint and parsley and toss to combine
- Roughly chop the pecans then dry toast with the pepitas until lightly toasted. Add to the bowl
- Slice the haloumi into batons and cook with a little oil until golden on both sides
- Combine with the brown rice and rocket mix and toss well to combine
- Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar and crushed garlic until combined then drizzle over the salad
I love that this haloumi brown rice salad can be whipped up in the time it takes the rice to cook. The pecans and pepitas add such delicious crunch to the salad and I love the freshness from the radish as well. Seriously, such a good combination!
I was such a happy camper each day when lunchtime rolled around at work and I could take this salad outside in the sunshine to enjoy. It kept me nice and full through the afternoon as well!