Whenever I make a salad with brown rice as the base I always feel like it needs lots of seeds and nuts to match the nutty flavour of the rice, and this brown rice pumpkin salad is no exception! Jam packed with walnuts, pepitas and sunflower seeds this salad is high on the crunch factor as well as full of flavour!
I whipped this beauty up for a farewell BBQ for some friends of ours that have headed off to Japan for a year and it worked really well as a crunchy counterpoint to your traditional BBQ salads like potato salad and coleslaw. It’s nice and filling too!
- Half a kent pumpkin
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Juice of a lime
- 1tbs soy sauce
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1tbs honey
- 2 cups rocket and/or spinach (I used a mixture)
- 125g feta
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Chop pumpkin into bite sized pieces and lay on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt then roast for 30 minutes, turning once then set aside to cool slightly
- Meanwhile, cook your brown rice (I use my rice cooker) then set aside to cool slightly
- Roughly chop the walnuts then spread on a tray with the pepitas and sunflower seeds and toast in the oven for 5 minutes, shaking once, until lightly golden.
- To make the dressing combine the lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed garlic and honey in a small bowl and whisk to mix thoroughly
- Combine the pumpkin, brown rice, nuts and seeds with the rocket and spinach and drizzle with the dressing. Top with feta and serve
I’m pretty excited that it’s pumpkin season again, I do love roast pumpkin in pretty much everything! I think I’ll be making plenty of pumpkin soups, pumpkin risottos and pumpkin salads over the coming weeks! This brown rice pumpkin salad will definitely be getting another look in too, it sure is tasty! Not to mention colourful!
Are you glad it’s pumpkin season too? Fancy some of this brown rice pumpkin salad for your next BBQ or gathering?
[inlinkz_linkup id=512520 mode=1]