This roast beetroot, apple & haloumi salad really feels like winter on a plate! It’s somehow simultaneously both hearty and fresh, and it sure is delicious. Sure, it takes a little time to make, but it’s mainly hands off and so worth it!
- 4 beetroot bulbs
- 4 apples
- Olive oil
- 1tbs caster sugar
- 200g haloumi
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups rocket
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1tbs seeded mustard
- Juice half a lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Wrap the beetroot individually in aluminium foil and roast until a skewer goes in easily (40 minutes – 1 hour 20, depending on the size of the beetroot). Set aside to cool slightly, then peel and cut into wedges
- Core the apples and cut into wedges. Place on a lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and sugar and bake for 25 minutes, until golden and soft
- Slice the haloumi into batons and fry in a pan until golden on both sides
- Wipe the pan and dry toast the walnuts
- Toss together the rocket, beetroot, apple, haloumi and walnuts in a salad bowl
- Combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard and lemon juice in a small jar and shake to combine. Season with salt and pepper then drizzle over when ready to serve
I love how the sweetness of the roasted beetroot and apple go so well with the slight bitterness of the rocket and the salty haloumi. It’s so simple, but such a flavour punch at the same time.
You can roast the beetroot in advance which definitely cuts down the preparation time on serving day. I don’t recommend roasting the apple in advance though, it can go a little soggy if you leave it sitting around too long. Don’t forget to pop a glove on when dealing with the beetroot too unless you fancy having pink hands for days afterwards!
CindyAugust 31, 2017 at 10:32 am (6 years ago)
Yum, that’s my kinda salad!Reply